Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Monday Nite at the Stood: A Man, A Bearded Man, A Play, Panama

The one and only Jesse Cooper Levy approached me in the library the other day, and he told me that he had a show in less than 30 minutes. Naturally, I dropped everything, and ran to Whitsons with liquid speed. Jesse was opening for- get this- a "play." Unusual, I know, but bear with me. He played a couple of songs, some with guitar or mandolin, and some were just recitted acapella. Jesse is really a pretty clever songwriter and he performed an adapted version of "What If God Was One of Us" that had people lolling in the aisles. After him, an impromptu set by our favorite, Kyle Gilbride, in the newly redecorated Stood bathroom. He played on that wonky piano that is broken broken a lot a lot. But he's great? So it was great!!

After all the pre-play shenanigans, the she-play beganigans. It was a cast of three, all female, who go by the name The Missoula Oblongata and it took place at the world fair at an indeterminate time. I thought it was pretty funny, in that they had the crowd chant "A Man! A Plan! A Racoon! PANAMA!!!" over and over again. "That's a great palindrome," they said. I just died at that part. But the play was pretty cool, and very nice and short. Hooray!


Jesse Cooper Levy/Neil Fridd


Kyle Gilbride


The Missoula Oblongata

No comments:

Post a Comment